Borussia Dortmund's U17s have reached the final of the German B-Youth Championship, where they will face FC Bayern Munich on 17 June, after following up their 1-1 draw with Bayer Leverkusen in the semi-final first leg four days ago with a 2-0 (0-0) victory in the second leg.


After drawing the first leg 1-1 in Leverkusen, BVB were likely to need to beat Bayer in the second leg − and they did so 2-0 thanks to goals from Emir Terzi and Youssoufa Moukoko to set up a final meeting with Bayern Munich.

The 1,800 spectators in Brackel only had to wait eight minutes for Dortmund to create their first chance. Malte Wengerowski sent a low cross from the right into the box, where Pherai only needed to convert the simplest of tap-ins but ultimately struck narrowly wide. Wengerowski had a go himself with almost a quarter of an hour gone, hitting an effort from 14 metres that was saved by the B04 custodian.

In the 17th minute, Youssoufa Moukoko spectacularly rounded five opponents in a run from midfield but lost his footing as he struck the ball goalbound and did not manage to get it on target. Clear-cut opportunities were few and far between in the opening half, though BVB were very much the superior side. The U17s made particularly good use of the flanks to create numerous opportunities, while they looked extremely solid defensively as they kept their opponents at bay and defended their clean sheet.

Moukoko had another effort on 28 minutes, but his left-footed shot from inside the box was again denied by the Leverkusen goalkeeper. Bayer's first and only chance − and a very good one too − came as the first half was drawing to a close. Yannik Schlößer suddenly found himself unmarked in front of the Dortmund goal but mishit his effort and Leon Gädicke failed to finish the follow-up.

Terzi gets the important opener

The second half began with a surprising moment from 17-year-old right-back Terzi, who pinched the ball off a Leverkusen player and picked out Moukoko with a perfect pass. But much to the disappointment of the Dortmund faithful, his effort rebounded off the underside of the bar. However, in the 47th minute the deadlock was broken when a loose ball fell to Terzi, who shot from a centre-right position ten metres out and the ball was deflected into the net for the opener.

Moukoko adds another

Moukoko doubled the advantage to 2-0 in the 55th minute, bringing the ball down perfectly with his left foot before touching it onto his right and firing into the opposition net. Two minutes later he had another opportunity to extend the lead to 3-0 from a free-kick in a centre-right position 20 metres out, but his strike flew narrowly over the frame of the goal. It was end-to-end action at this stage. With 10 minutes to go, Wengerowski had a shot on the turn and was again denied by the woodwork. But the 1,800 fans in the stands were not at any point left wondering whether their team would make the final and, following a strong final period, the Black & Yellows ran out 2-0 winners. They will now travel to Munich at the weekend to take on Bayern in the final.
Selina Göckler