The Helmut-Körnig-Halle was filled with the sound of hundreds of people shouting "Yessss" as BVB, major underdogs in their Champions League opener, secured a point after an outstanding performance. As the final whistle blew on the game against FTC-Rail Cargo Hungaria, the scoreboard read 25-25 (12-14). The Black & Yellow players deservedly basked in the adulation of their fans. 

It's no wonder that BVB coach André Fuhr had huge praise for his team: "We are very happy. We absolutely deserved the point. We fought hard and I am proud of the team. The point feels like a win."

But the first goal of the game was scored by the visitors, as Germany international Emily Bölk made it 1-0. After Mia Zschocke missed a chance to score, Bölk made no mistake once again. It seemed as if FTC Rail Cargo would leave BVB with no chance. But in the fifth minute, the 200 spectators had something to cheer about: Amelie Berger converted a fast tempo counter-attack and the duck was broken. It was an important goal which galvanised BVB. Shortly afterwards, Jennifer Gutiérrez Bermejo also found the back of the net, drawing the Black & Yellows back to within two goals at 4-2.

A great pass from Alina Grijseels to Merel Freriks made the crowd cheer once again. The great atmosphere clearly had an impact on the guests from Hungary, as demonstrated by a missed seven-metre penalty and some misplaced passes. With 15 minutes on the clock, BVB deservedly drew level thanks to a goal from Alina Grijseels.

Things got even better: in the 18th minute, Tessa van Zijl gave BVB the lead - 7-6! Then it was back and forth, with both attacking lines taking their chances. BVB showed no sign of being intimidated by the overwhelming favourites. The two sides went into the dressing room with the Hungarians narrowly in front at 14-12. The mood at half-time was dampened by the injury to van Zijl, who was unable to continue playing with a bandaged foot in the first half and had to be taken to hospital.

The second half got off to a successful start, as Fatos Kücükyildiz, who moved to Dortmund in the summer, scored a few seconds after the restart to make it 14-13. In the 34th minute, it was Kücükyildiz again who scored a solo goal to make it 15-14. The goals made it clear that the BVB women would be a force to be reckoned with in the second 30 minutes.

Dana Bleckmann, Merel Freriks and the impressive Alina Grijseels brought the score to 18-18 after 40 minutes. But it was not only the attack that was working for Borussia; Yara ten Holte also saved a large number of free throws in a fantastic performance. In the 50th minute, Grijseels equalised again - 21-21. But the guests didn't let up either and showed confidence in their finishing.

The neck-and-neck race continued into the final phase of a thrilling battle. The hall shook in support of the Black & Yellows. Goalkeeper Yara ten Holte was almost insurmountable. With three minutes left on the clock, the score was 24-24. Then a seven-metre penalty. Frida Rønning kept her nerve, 25-24. After the Hungarians equalised once more, they regained possession of the ball. Their attempt at a game winner was deflected against the crossbar by Yara ten Holte - final whistle!

The Black & Yellows are next in action on Wednesday, when they travel to BSV Sachsen Zwickau in the Bundesliga (19:30 CET).

BVB: Kohorst, ten Holte; Berger (3), Grijseels (9/2), Zschocke (1/1), van Zijl (1), Moreno (1/1), Kücükyildiz (2/1), Abdulla, Gutiérrez Bermejo (1), Freriks (4/1), van der Heijden, Sando, Rønning (1/1), Bleckmann (2/2)