On Tuesday (21:00 CET), Borussia Dortmund face Sporting Lisbon in their first home game in the UEFA Champions League and BVB can look back on a very positive record against Tuesday's opponents. Here are some match facts in the build-up to the game:
- While Borussia Dortmund beat Besiktas 2-1 in their first game, Sporting suffered a 1-5 home defeat to Ajax.
- In the group stage in the UEFA Champions League in 2016/17, BVB won the only two games against Sporting to date. Goals from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (9) and Julian Weigl (43) secured a 2-1 win for the Black and Yellows in Lisbon. BVB also won the second game thanks to an Adrian Ramos goal in the 12th minute.
- Borussia Dortmund are taking part in the UEFA Champions League for the 16th time, and have reached the knockout stages in seven of their last eight attempts.
- BVB have won five of their past eight home games in the Europe’s top club competition.
- Against teams from Portugal, things look particularly good: BVB have won their last six home games in a row, with an aggregate score of 17-2.
- Donyell Malen scored the opener for PSV Eindhoven in a 3-2 home victory against Sporting on 19 September 2019.
- In 2020/21, Sporting won the Portuguese championship for the 19th time.
- It is the ninth time they have been involved in the group stages in the UEFA Champions League, and the first since 2017/18. Sporting have only made it through the group stages once, in 2008/09.
- Their opening defeat against Ajax was one of only two losses in their last 31 matches.
- Sporting have lost seven of their last eight away games in UEFA Champions League.
- Their record in away games against opposition from the Bundesliga does not look good: no wins, one draw (in Munich in 2006) and twelve defeats.