Just as they did last season, BVB will take on SC Freiburg on Matchday 2. Here are the match facts:
- Borussia Dortmund have a better overall head-to-head record against Freiburg than against any other Bundesliga side, with 28 wins, 11 draws and only 5 defeats.
- Only in 2 of the 44 games have BVB failed to score (in the 2-0 home defeat on 21 October 2001 and in the 0-0 draw on 9 September 2017 in Freiburg).
- Only Bayern Munich have beaten Freiburg more often (31 times) than Borussia Dortmund (28 times) in their Bundesliga history.
Facts about BVB
- Borussia scored 22 goals following a set-piece situation last season. That was the second-best return in the league – bettered only by Freiburg, who had the most with 24.
- BVB allowed only their opponents eight shots in the first match of the season. Only two teams were even stronger defensively.
Facts about SC Freiburg
- In 2020/21, Freiburg converted 69% of their "100%" chances to score (the best in the league), and last season their conversion rate was 55% (only two teams were more efficient in front of goal).
- Their defenders scored the highest number of goals last season (11), and again a defender (Ginter) scored a goal in the 4-0 win over Augsburg in the season opener.
- Their tally of 11 goals scored by substitutes last season was surpassed only by BVB (14).
- Freiburg scored ten goals from a free-kick in 2021/22 (the most in the league). In their opening victory in Augsburg, Vincenco Grifo scored directly from a free-kick.