Matchday 3 of the UEFA Champions League will see Borussia Dortmund make their third visit to the Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán. Historically, the Black & Yellows have one win and one draw to their name at the home of Sevilla. The match facts.
- Manchester City top the group with two victories. Sevilla (one draw and one defeat to date) are regarded as BVB's (one win, one defeat) biggest challengers in the race for second spot and a place in the knockout stages.
- Sevilla succumbed to a 4-0 loss to Manchester City on Matchday 1 – their biggest home defeat in the competition – before drawing 0-0 in Copenhagen.
- In the two previous away meetings, BVB drew 2-2 (back in 2010) and won 3-2 (in the spring of 2021 under Edin Terzic).
- During the course of their long European history, BVB have twice taken on Sevilla (2010/11 and 2020/21).
- In the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League group stages, they lost 1-0 at home and drew 2-2 away. There were contentious refereeing decisions on both occasions.
- An undeserved red card for Marcel Schmelzer paved the way for the Andalusians to run out 1-0 victors in Dortmund. In the return fixture, Shinji Kagawa opened the scoring, before Romaric and Kanouté scored for the hosts. Neven Subotic levelled at 2-2 four minutes after the break, but the winning goal Dortmund needed to go through would not come.
- Erling Haaland was the outstanding player as Borussia Dortmund beat Sevilla in the round of 16 in the 2020/21 UEFA Champions League. The striker scored four of BVB's five goals in that tie. In the first leg away from home, the Norwegian scored twice (27, 43) to fire the visitors 3-1 in front after Mahmoud Dahoud had equalised (19) to cancel out the Spanish side's opener. Suso (7) and de Jong (84) got the goals for the home team. In the return leg in Dortmund, he notched two more goals. An En-Nesyri brace (69, 90+6) was not enough for Sevilla to progress.
- The Spaniards' only league victory to date came as they beat Espanyol 3-2 away on 10 September.
- Sevilla are taking part in the UEFA Champions League for the eighth time and the third season in a row. The club made the quarter-finals in 2017/18.
- There has only been one victory in their last six UEFA Champions League home games – four of which have ended in defeat.
- They have a positive record against German clubs with 13 wins, eight draws and only six losses.
- Thomas Delaney moved to Andalusia from BVB in the summer of 2021. Adnan Januzaj was on loan at BVB in 2015/16.
Borussia Dortmund facts
- BVB are in the UEFA Champions League group stages for the 17th time in total and the seventh season in succession.
- In their last 18 away games, they have claimed seven wins but suffered 10 defeats.
- The win in Sevilla in the round of 16 in 2021 was BVB's second away win in 17 visits to Spain (five draws and 10 defeats). The other triumph came away to Atletico Madrid in 1996.